Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What I use...and don't use.

The truth is...

I have lost about 10-12 pounds since March 1st and I have not stepped foot in a gym. I don't have time for a gym. You see, I have three small children who are now 4, 2.5 and 9 months. I am a busy momma. Since making the commitment on March 1st I had to find a way to exercise. Take time for me. It's been tough, but I have done it. I knew there would be no way I could commit to driving to and from a gym every time I wanted to exercise, so I vowed to do it on my own. I have succeeded, and I continue to succeed. There are days where I wonder when I am going to exercise and some days I just can't. Some days (actually most) I don't exercise without some sort of interruption from the girls, and that is okay, any exercise is better than none. I've learned that you do not have to join a gym to be successful in losing weight and bettering yourself. With a small investment, you can do it at home, on your own. You just need a few things...

A commitment: You have to be ready. You can't exercise for anyone else but yourself. You have to want it. Bad. If you aren't serious, you won't succeed because it is just too easy to make excuses as to why you can't or don't want to work out. Commit yourself to a period of time, I did 90 days. Set a goal that you know you can reach (like a 5K). Starting a blog was the best thing for me because it made me accountable. If I knew people may be reading, then I had to do it.

Hand weights: When I realized I'd be using DVD's here at home, I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a case filled with sets of 3, 5 and 8 pound weights. Very handy and cost about $50. Honestly, I didn't start using weights until a few weeks into my challenge. I was so out of shape that even using NO weights made me sore!

Cushy Mat: Floor work on a wood floor is NO fun. I went to Target and spent $10 on a cheapo Yoga mat. It sucks. I recommend buying a nice mat - don't be cheap!

Polar HRM FT7: Kevin bought me this for Mother's Day. I have to say it's pretty cool. It's a heart rate monitor and calorie counter. I like to see how good (or bad) my workouts are. It gives me a good idea of what is going on and how hard I am working. Definitely a cool tool, just not a necessary one!

Asics Gel-Nimbus 12: My running shoes. I had been running on old Nikes - but they got uncomfortable so I went off to get my feet assessed at a local running store. I had a neutral gait, so they fitted me with some shoes. I chose Saucony. I ran in them a few times and my God, they hurt. Bad. So, I took them back and have been in my Asics ever since. They're pretty good. I definitely recommend heading to a running store to get your feet measured and assessed if you plan to run! Worth the money.

The videos I use:

Everyone has different opinions on what is good or bad for exercise. Some like kick-boxing, some like Yoga, some like circuit training, so my opinions may not mean too much :). At first, I started off with OnDemand Exercise TV - it's free and it gives you a great glimpse into videos you may want to purchase. Some of them are full length, and most are only a portion of the real video.
$9

The 30 Day Shred: Jillian Michaels - Target, $9 - completely worth it. Three levels, all 20 minutes each. Anyone has 20 minutes. This is my go-to video if I am short on time. It's challenging and burns a decent amount of calories for only 20 minutes! Level one is easy, two is difficult and three is....well twice as difficult! It uses the 3-2-1 technique - 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of abs.

No More Trouble Zones: Jillian Michaels - $9, Target - Absolutely my favorite. It is a true ass kicker. Seriously, an intense work out. 40 minutes in length of circuit training. The AB circuits are amazing! I love the challenge of this workout. I wish I had time to do this more often. It is my go-to video for when I have a bit more time.

CardioMax: Biggest Loser - $9, Target - A pretty good cardio workout that allows you to pick and choose the intensity as the workout goes on. Very versatile. I like this one for the days I can't get out running, but feel like I need a good cardio workout. I also like the fact you can do short or long workouts. Some times, I will do a 20 minute work out after Trouble Zones. This one is really worth it!

Boost Metabolism/Banish Fat: Jillian Michaels - $9, Target. Not my favorite. If you like kickboxing type exercise, then you will enjoy. It's definitely a good workout. It is 40 minutes in length, so like Trouble Zones, if you are limited on time, you may have a tougher time doing this. I like this workout for when I feel like I need to "mix it up".

Yoga: Meltdown: Jilian Michaels - $15, Target. If you think of yoga as a quiet, serene workout, think again. This is another one of Jillian Michaels ass whoopin. She's got you holdin' poses for 15 seconds in poses you never thought possible! It's a great workout, I really, really like it. Definitely great for the beginner all the way up through the ladder. If you like yoga, try it out. Very cool.

So, for a minimal investment, you can set yourself up pretty nicely at home! You don't need a lot. The biggest thing you need is a commitment to be serious about bettering yourself. What are you waiting for? Set yourself a goal and strive to achieve it. You can do it.

Never give up.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about a good mat....mine is not thick enough on my hardwood floor. I am interested in the Biggest Loser CardioMax. Weights are a MUST....after a couple weeks though! HA!!! I never knew 3 pounds could hurt! Great review and great encouragement girl!

    ReplyDelete