Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It actually happened...

I no longer have an excuse about not exercising.

Our sweet little prince, Callum John was born on Friday, April 8th at 4:05pm. After a fast (like 15minute fast) labor, he was born weighing in at 6lbs4oz. He was born perfectly healthy, but soon after birth he developed respiratory distress that only continued to get worse. He ended up being transferred to a NICU where he was intubated and diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. If you're interested in his story, you can read it here. Thankfully after 12 days in the NICU, he was discharged home and has been doing very well. 

Of course his NICU stay delayed my intentions of getting back into shape, but, there were more important things! Now that Callum has been growing and doing everything he should, I finally got the energy to start working out....wait, have I mentioned that I foolishly signed myself (and Kevin) up for the Mother's Day 5K? Yeah. Crazy...and thinking that I would actually have time to try and prepare for it was even more foolish, especially after having a critically ill newborn in an intensive care unit! 

Today, I finally broke down and worked out. I know I had every intention of starting to exercise during the last month or two of my pregnancy, but it just didn't work out. I ended up having a fairly rough last few weeks of pregnancy. I had strep throat, shingles and a stomach bug - not to mention a few family stresses thrown in there, too! Oh yeah, and just being pregnant with three small girls at home made it tough, too....so, while I am not trying to make excuses, I had every intention of exercising lightly.....but, I didn't! 

I did level 1 of the Shred. I did a light to moderate work out, and definitely didn't break that much of a sweat. My heart rate never went above 155 the entire work out and I still burned about 170 calories. Because I am nursing a newborn and just 3.5 weeks post partum, I have to make sure I am consuming plenty of calories, drinking a ton and not pushing myself...I just want to start.....slowly. It isn't about losing weight right now.... it's about taking time for me and feeling good about myself. 

The workout felt amazingly good and definitely gave me that urge to keep doing it and want to get moving...so I will! 

I have to say I am amazed at how fast my body has jumped back after having a baby. When I started my 90 day challenge I believe I weighed about 130lbs......and when I got pregnant with Callum, I weighed 112lbs. Today, I weighed in at 122lbs at just 3.5 weeks post partum. My max weight during pregnancy was close to 140lbs. 

Here I am the day before Callum's birth:

Here I am this morning at 122lbs:


So, here I go.......I will start to relearn how to run and hopefully I will enjoy it as much as I did last year at this time! I can't wait to feel amazing again! 

If anyone else is interested in joining my exercise challenge, comment below.........it's great to have support of others! 

No comments:

Post a Comment