Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day 63 - Running with a friend

Day 63 - Running

Weather: 68, mostly cloudy with variable winds

Duration: 31:41
Distance: 3.1 miles
Pace: 10:12 mins/mile

Over the past 63 days, I have learned a lot! When I first started running with my friend Kim, it was tough. I'd want to hold a conversation, but if I did, I couldn't breath :) - now after running 5 miles with our neighbor and being able to have a conversation, I found that running alone today was rather boring. I had intended to run with Kim, but we had morning plans, and she had afternoon plans, so it didn't quite work out. When I set out to run this afternoon, I felt great, but I quickly found myself a bit bored. Wait! It's actually fun when you can run AND talk at the same time! Talk about the perfect social setting all while burning calories.....don't worry, I'd still rather eat food, drink wine and enjoy a ladies night! :)

Todays run was successful. However, it was also a bit of a letdown as I was really hoping to get my time below the 30 minute mark. Yeah, call me a bit crazy, but I figured if I can run for 5 miles straight while doing 10 minute miles, why can't I do sub 10 minute miles for 3 miles???? I don't know. I know running is  weird, and I guess I have to learn all those intricacies of running - fast runs, long runs, etc etc etc.

There is ONE week until my very first 5K race, and I am excited. I am excited because I know I will be able to finish. It will surely be interesting.

So, for any of you out there who don't really enjoy running - try running with a friend! It makes time go by so much faster, it's great motivation and best of all, the encouragement is fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. Steph, one way to improve your time is to sprint for 60 seconds a few times during your jog. Doing that will help to improve your overall running pace over time. Look up speed work if you're interested in learning more about that.

    ReplyDelete