Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 70! The perfect gift....

..........and on Day 70, she ran in her first official 5k race!

Duration: 30:27
Distance: 5K!
Pace: 09:52 mins/mile

Well, ladies! I did it....I went from hardly being able to run for 60 seconds to running for 30+ minutes straight without stopping. Kevin and I ran in the Portland Sea Dogs Mothers Day 5K race! It was a chilly 43 degrees with stiff winds, but overall, it was a beautiful day...not because of the weather, but because my husband and I set a goal for our selves and finished it. We may not have come in first.....or even placed in any age group, but we made a commitment and finished it with flying colors. While my time wasn't as fast as I had hoped, I still finished it in my original goal when I started this 90 day challenge.



The race was a lot of fun! The first half of the race was up hill, which was a big surprise since everyone told me there weren't any hills in this course. Ummmm okay?! The worst part of the run was the fact that I had to pee at like the first mile.....and well, I'll be honest! After having 3 kids in a short amount of time, I was really worried I was going to pee myself! There is only so long I can hold it with all the running....but I survived. The last quarter of a mile was inside the Sea Dog stadium, and it was really great. All the spectators were in the stands cheering us on. I couldn't believe I was actually running  in a race. Just before the finish line were my parents with our sweet girls cheering us on - how special it was!











Kevin and I tried to sprint the last part, but there were so many people we were almost slowed down to an almost walking pace......that was disappointing!

But.....we did it! We reached our goals. Running in that race was almost emotional, I will admit. It was probably one of most amazing mothers day gifts I could have done for myself...

After the race, I snuggled in Mairead's bed with our youngest, Clara, and took a little nap with her! 

3 comments:

  1. So reading this brought tears to my eyes! I am so proud of you for reaching your goal! It really is an inpiration to us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Steph and Kevin! You guys are doing the very best thing you can for yourselves and your girls...staying healthy and supporting one another. Great example for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It's been a really great experience for both Kevin and I! I am so proud of both of us for doing this, and teaching our girls such a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete