Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Whatcha' Doin' Wednesday

It's Wednesday again! If you are new to Whatcha Doin' Wednesdays, click HERE  to read about it!

If you visit, please join in or at least leave a comment (below)! :)

1. What was your goal for the past week? Did you meet the goal?

2. What was your biggest accomplishment for the week?

3. Did you try anything new? If so, did you like it?

4. Are you just exercising or doing something new with your diet/nutrition?

5. Do you have kids? If so, how do you schedule in work outs? What works for you? What doesn't?


Here are my answers:

1. My goal for the past week was to start increasing my distances in my runs. I had been able to run 3.1 miles twice. Unfortunately, the weather didn't quite cooperate with me to reach that goal, but I did run 3.4 miles yesterday, so I guess I did reach my goal of increasing distance.

2. Hmmm...I don't know! I would have to say continuing to run. I have been running faster times, and was able to complete a 5K in just over 30 minutes.

3. Yes. I tried Level 3 of the Shred, and I have to say it is very challenging! It is much different than the first two levels. She has you doing a lot of plank work, and using weights during the cardio circuit. Definitely a challenge, but it felt great when I finished. Oh, and I also tried doing level 1 AND 2 together. I couldn't run because of weather (we don't have a treadmill) and I wanted a GOOD cardio workout along with strength training. It was an AWESOME work out and I highly recommend it!!!

4. I am trying to eat healthier with not as much snacking. Since I am still exclusively breastfeeding (with the exception of one small meal for Clara), I have to be very careful. I found myself last week probably not meeting my caloric needs and I am pretty sure my milk supply was starting to drop a wee bit, so I have backed off. I am eating what I want, just trying to make healthier decisions.

5. Yes. I have 3 kids almost 4 and under...so I am ALL about time restricted exercise.......or interrupted exercises! It's not uncommon for me to have to stop in between exercises to wipe a butt or referree an argument! :)

If I am not running, I work out during their nap time in the afternoons. This usually works out well. The days I am running, I wait until Kevin gets home, and then we take turns running. If the kids are awake, I may do a quick Shred, and they will join in with me. They'll get a mat, and do the exercises. It works out really well. By the time they are bored, the workout is generally just about over! 20 minutes is very, very doable for me.

5 comments:

  1. 1) My goal over the past week to twofold. I wanted to try to improve my times, and also to add time to the total time running. I did both. I'm finally running 30 minutes each time out, and I turned in a new best time of 8:30 per minute, which I did over 28 minutes and 3.29 miles.

    2) My biggest accomplishment this week would be fitting in the exercise. Friday I worked 7-230, came home and forced myself to do the Shred before showering and getting ready to have a girls night.

    3) I tried a new interval run. It is VERY challenging, mostly cuz I push myself so hard, but I really do like it.

    4) I always have the same issue. I am the model of healthy eating all day...and then the kids go to bed and I'm a night-time snacker. Its my weakness and has derailed me repeatedly over the years. If its not salt, its sweet, or its a drink with some kick to take the edge off my frazzled nerves. I think if I could get that under control I'd meet all of my goals. But then what fun would life be?

    5) I have (almost) 21 month old twin boys with HIGH energy levels. Fitting in the workout has always been the challenge. Its just been in the last couple months that I've been able to workout while they are awake. Our basement is a totally childproofed playroom...with a treadmill. I jump on the treadmill 3x p/wk for abt 40 min total, and in general they are happy playing together without mommy. I usually do abs after a run, so that adds another 10 minutes to my time. Then I run up and jump in the shower (which I can do in abt 3 minutes flat). Run days it takes me about 1.5 hrs to get my workout in, shower, and get dressed.

    The off days I do the Shred (3x p/wk). A 20 minute workout is perfect for me. It only takes about 45 min to workout and be ready for my day.

    I realize the boys are getting less of my attention than they would if I got up at 6 a.m. and worked out before they woke up, but then they'd have an even more tired mommy who would be a total crab. There has to be some balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Last week I started my cycle on Monday. I worked out just before it started. I could tell it was coming because working out was HARD. I felt like junk for most of the week. I worked out only twice. I decided to let it go, especially since I eat so restrictive anyway.


    2. Honestly, my biggest accomplishment came last night when I ROCKED the Shred level 2. I was doing all the high impact and feeling it!

    3. Nothing really "new" this past week. I have worked out at night the past 2 nights and I am happy to get a workout in, but it is messing up my sleep. My husband is away on business and it has just been rough this time.

    4. I eat very close to a Paleo Diet as possible. Basically, I try not to eat any foods that would cause inflammation in the body. I notice a huge difference in how much better I feel. No afternoon slump, no bloating, more energy. I am also trying my best to remember to take these digestive enzymes. I lost 10 pounds without working out just doing this.

    5. Do I have kids??? LOL! Three girls who never stop! With David gone this week I have only worked out when I put them to bed. I am not a fan, but I want to workout. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My goal was to be more consistent with my workouts, like actually getting it done every day. It didn't happen for multiple reasons and I was definitely disapppointed, but it just means I can try again.

    2. My biggest accomplishment was actually making it through the push-ups in No More Trouble Zones without collapsing on the floor! LOL! My arms are so weak...

    3. I tried a few dance videos on OnDemand and they were ok. It was something to try with the boys during the day, but the boys didn't stay interested for long and I didn't feel like I was getting the level of workout that I was craving.

    4. Mostly just exercising. I'm in a weird position where I'm trying to get myself to a (higher) healthy weight (I've always been underweight, except while pregnant), but I want to lose the baby belly flab. The workouts have definitely bumped up my appetite and I'm eating as much as I feel like to keep up with it, but trying to stear clear of fast food for my heavier calories. Instead I'm eating lots of potatoes, chicken, eggs, pasta.

    5. I have two boys (4 and 2) and it's hard to exercising while they're awake. Like I mentioned before, I tried some dance videos during the day, but I had to pause it every 2 minutes and it just didn't work very well. I usually put the boys to bed, clean up the house, and then do 20-30 minute video (it's been either Shred or Trouble Zones lately) around 9pm. I know most people get a big adrenaline rush, but working out before bed works sooo well for me. I feel good and pumped up, but then I take a long hot shower and I'm ready to pass out. I always sleep extremely well on the nights I've gotten my workout in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie....have you ever tried whey protein shakes (non soy) made with coconut milk? Nutritious and a great way to get to that healthy weight. or...maybe I could just transfer some of my weight to you?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, I am so proud of you! You go girl! Hmm, it sounds like you might be liking this running thing after all!!!

    My goal for the past week has been to keep up with my training schedule even though we were super busy entertaining and on the road to Rhode Island. Normally, I'm more wishy-washy about running when we have guests or when we are on the road but it seems that lately we either have one of the two so I was falling a bit behind... Did it, except I got an injury due to the uneven, rocky surface at my brother's house. Persevered through the foot this week and got up to 3.6 miles, which is the distance I was at before all of this tiredness set in, so that feels good. Next Thursday is 4.2.... I try to run in the early morning or early evening. Running with the BOB adds a good two minutes onto each run and I'm already a slowpoke so it takes me forever....

    ReplyDelete