Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 61 - Whaaaaaaaaaat!?!? 5 Miles?

Day 61 - Running

Weather: Sunny, 70 degrees and strong winds (15-20mph)

Duration: 52:24 (Seriously? Yes. I am serious)
Distance: 5.01 Miles........yes. Miles. I must have gone insane.
Pace: 10:28 min/mile..........and I am still alive to talk about it.

Yes, you are reading that correctly!?! No, I do not know what has gotten into me. I am thinking I must have gone crazy! Today was finally a beautiful day. Me, Lilah & Clara walked to pick Mairead up at preschool today. It's just about a .5 mile away, so the perfect distance for a little walk. I had intended to run later on. Once Mairead & Clara got up, I prepared to run. Mairead asked if she could go with me. I figured, why not? I put Clara & Mairead into the stroller and set off knowing I probably wouldn't be able to run the entire time with the jogger, especially with the strong winds present. As we approached the end of the driveway, our neighbor asked if I was going for a run (she's an avid runner), and I said yes, and asked if she wanted to come. I met her at her house, when she decided she was going to run down to the beach - 5 miles. No way can I do that with the jogger, no way can I do that without the jogger. As I turned around to leave, she told me to wait. She asked if her daughter could watch the girls and we ran together. I thought about it for a second, and said "Sure" - not sure what I was thinking, but I agreed. She told me to set the pace and just go with the flow. So I did.

Mind you, this is the lady whom I walked with last fall/winter after I had Clara. We would walk at a brisk pace for about 3-4 miles. I could barely keep up with her, and could barely keep a conversation flowing. Today, I ran the ENTIRE 5 miles down to the beach and was able to maintain a FULL conversation with her without feeling as if I was going to die! I can't even begin to tell you how easy it felt. I am not sure if it is because I was with someone who was a runner and she gave me great encouragement, or what - but I felt amazingly good during AND after the run. What has gotten into me? Seriously?! 5 miles?????? This is just insane. My groin and feet were bothering me around mile 3-4, but I really think it is time for new (real) running shoes.

I am just really in shock that I was able to do this - and it wasn't even bad! I am hoping I will be able to run with my neighbor on frequent basis now that I know I am able to run the distance she runs! Whoa. I can honestly say that I am READY for my 5K! I am ready. I never thought I would ever be able to say such a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment